Movies from Bradley Cooper, Sofia Coppola and Ava DuVernay will debut at this year’s event, despite the industry shutdown.
The Hollywood strikes have halted production on major movies, pushed back release dates and stopped actors appearing on red carpets. But on Tuesday, the organizers of the Venice Film Festival said this year’s event would be relatively unscathed by the turmoil, and announced a star-studded lineup.
Alberto Barbera, the festival’s artistic director, said in a news conference that the impact of the strike was “modest,” despite the loss of Venice’s planned opener, Luca Guadagnino’s “Challengers,” a tennis drama starring Zendaya. Last week, MGM pushed the movie’s release date to next year in light of the actors’ union strike.